Saturday, January 2, 2010

It's not over! Rediscovering Christmas pt. III

Hello wonderful friends...
Did you know that Christmas ISN'T OVER? Well, I didn't. Not until early this year when I learned lots about the liturgical calendar & seasons of the church.

Remember the song "The 12 Days of Christmas"?

It's real.
There are 12 days.
And they start on Christmas day.
Not end.

"What??!?" you say?
It is true.

Part of rediscovering Christmas for Joel & I has been realizing that there is a whole Christmas season in the church, starting on December 25th and ending on January 6th.
January 6th is Epiphany - a holiday I had never even heard of before.
It is the day that we celebrate the three kings showing up to worship Jesus. They were the first Gentiles to worship Him, thus revealing Him as Savior for all of mankind.

Gentile.
That's me.

So happy 9th day of Christmas.


One more quick thing...
That slightly annoying song about the 12 days? It potentially has roots in the 16th century & is a mnemonic for 12 of the important tenets of the Christian faith.

Joel & I plan to teach our children each of those tenets.
And thus, our Christmas season will end on January 6th.

Joy to the world, the Lord has COME.
Merry Christmas, dear friends!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa! I'm so glad to hear someone else express this thought! We always grew up celebrating like my father did in Norway, and the week after Christmas is one of the biggest times of celebration. Also, having grown up in New Orleans, that's why Mardi Gras season begins on January 6 with "King Cakes" representing the "Three Kings" finding the Christ Child (a la the plastic baby inside the cake). I hate it when people pack up their tree and lights on Dec. 26. So, Chad and I will be with you and Joel in celebrating until the 6th of January. Happy 9th Day to you too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked it! :) I've been learning a whole lot about Christmas I didn't know. I think I like the holiday more than ever now.

    Love you & Chad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story of the three kings, they were most likely from babylon- a nation that once conquered the jewish people. so it is like an analogy at the revealing of Jesus, nations are humbled.

    Also traditionally girls born on january 6th were named tiffany, as it means the revealing of God, or God's image. (Theophanias in the greek)

    If you get a chance and really want to blow your mind watch http://www.bethlehemstar.net/
    It will open your mind to the poetry in the sky.

    ReplyDelete